Rough Rider Society
The North Dakota National Guard Enlisted Association and National Guard Association of North Dakota have established a Rough Rider Society Scholarship Program. The following persons are eligible:
1. Active and Life NDNGEA and NGAND member sons and daughters.
2. Spouses of Active and Life NDNGEA and NGAND members.
3. Sons, daughters, and spouses of deceased NDNGEA and NGAND members who were in good standing at the time of their death.
Scholarships will be awarded in the amount of $1000 and $500 for the next fall or spring term of school the applicant will be attending. Applicant must be enrolled as a student at a graduate school, college, university, trade or business school.
Awards will be sent directly to the graduate school, college, university, trade or business school in the name of the recipient in the form of a check. To receive the award, verification will be required from the recipient.
There will be no consideration given whatsoever because of friendship, rank or grade of applicant, applicant’s parents or applicant’s spouse. Neither shall the applicant’s geographical place of residence be considered. Awards will be made on the basis of merit from an essay.
All applicants will complete a one-page essay, single spaced, Times New Roman, 12 font, with one inch margins on the following topic:
What does service mean to you, and how do you give service in your community?
The deadline date for all applications for scholarships will be observed in all instances.
Former recipients of a Rough Rider Society Scholarship Award are not eligible to reapply. Those persons who have applied previously and were not selected may reapply.
If the recipient does not complete the school term for which the scholarship is awarded, due to any cause other than sickness or physical injury, the recipient will refund the award to the Rough Rider Society within sixty (60) days from the date of disenrollment.
Scholarship applications may be sent electronically or by mail to the scholarship chairperson. Each application will be reviewed for completeness and forwarded to the Rough Rider Society Scholarship Committee.
The Scholarship Committee shall be comprised of the following:
1. Chairperson: Either Past Chairman from NGAND Board or Past President of NDNGEA will be chairperson of the scholarship committee. The position will alternate between organizations each year.
2. The committee will consist of the Chairperson (see description above), one NGAND board member appointed by current NGAND Chair and one NDNGEA board member appointed by current NDNGEA President, for a total of three committee members.
As a minimum, there will be two (2) scholarships awarded each year.
In the event that no scholarships are given in a calendar year, the funds identified will be put into a trust for future year.
All applications must be accompanied with the following:
- 1. The application.
- 2. A one page, single spaced essay with only the applicant’s initials where noted
COMPLETE AND EMAIL TO:
Deadline: 1 February 2022